Thursday 8 December 2011

It's just business

So yesterday I gave a brief overview of where I am on the church side of things, now for the other side...the bar.


It might be helpful to say a bit more about my background here. After A levels I went to Cardiff University to study theology, after which I stayed on at Uni to do a master's degree in church history. It was upon completing this that I decided to train for the ministry and studied for a PhD (which turned out to be an MPhil) in Celtic church history at the same time. I went straight from here into my current church and not long after started my bar church ministry.

I only say all this to highlight one fact...I have absolutely NO experience in any form of business whatsoever. The idea of opening a bar is pretty scary.

However, I do feel that the idea is completely workable. My vision is to have a bar that is ethically run, quirky and emphasising quality not quantity. It will be the polar opposite of those bars/pubs out there that are focused solely on getting people (especially students) to down as many '2 4 1' sambucas as possible, or eat as many plastic chips as can be heated in the microwave. The food and drink will all be either fair trade (or equivalent), organic or locally produced. The bar will hold regular events, including open mic nights, acoustic sessions and art exhibitions. People will go there for the experience of an amazing night out, not simply to get bladdered or eat as much rubbish as they can. The staff will be looked after in a working environment of fun, focus and trust (couldn't think of another 'f'). The premises will be used as a centre for outreach to the homeless and provide counselling/advice services. It will be awesome.

Now, I can hear EVERY person reading this with any amount of business experience at all synchronously snort in derision. But there's proof it can work! A few weeks ago I met up with the project manager of a city centre bar called the Malt Cross in Nottingham. I won't say too much more about this amazing place, but please check out the website. http://www.maltcross.com/ This is my inspiration.

Brilliant. Now there's just the little problem of money...

1 comment:

  1. Yes, nice one.

    It seems to me that all creations are created twice - first in the mind/heart, and then in reality! The WORD becomes FLESH!

    Having the vision is vital and not to be snorted at. But giving the vision legs, requires coming down from the mountain top, and walking through the long valley of experience and learning and problem-solving and persevering - by faith! Sounds like Hebrews 11, doesn't it?!

    One thought. The pubs are already there, and the bar-managers are already there. But there are no communities of faith being worked out there yet - except in a few examples round the country.

    Maybe, one day, God will lead you to a fully-fledged Malt Cross in Cardiff, but meanwhile, maybe concentrate on the spiritual vision rather than physical expressions.

    Pray for opportunities to partner with suitable contexts where you can reach this people-group and develop the essence of the vision, using Eqypt's resources!

    ReplyDelete