Monday 12 December 2011

Location, Location, Location!



As I think about and research this whole bar-owning business (literally!), it seems that one of the most important factors is that of location. In this economic climate where folk have very little money to spend on stuff, the place where a pub/bar/restaurant is situated becomes paramount. Do the residents in the vicinity want random, fairly-traded ales, or are would they be much more happy with a pint of Stella? This is where the whole 'market research' thing comes in (see, I know all the lingo!) and I'm pretty sure this should be a high priority on my to do list.

I'll be honest, I'm a city boy. I love everything about the city, the busy-ness, the excitement, the people, the energy. For me, the nearer I can be to where all the action is happening the better. With this in mind, it probably comes as no surprise that my first thoughts are to look at a city centre location, or at least a relatively central suburb. I think my grand plans plans for something a bit alternative would work best here.

So here's the dilemma. I recently met up with a friend who is a very successful businessman and is very interested in my idea. He immediately caught the vision for a pub that was run along ethical lines and aimed at doing good in the community, even to the extent of hinting at financial investment!!! Money! Awesome!!! However, as the conversation progressed it became apparent that our visions differed in one small but crucial way - he envisaged a traditional country pub, not a contemporary, city-centre bar.

This leaves me with a big question - if pushed, do I abandon the original vision in order to get the money, or do I turn down my first sniff at serious financial backing in order to retain the integrity of the concept? This is not an easy one, as I don't want to be so arrogant as to refuse to listen to the ideas and thoughts of those who are successful in business, plus I can see that his ideas could have a lot of potential. I've been thinking about this a lot, but in the end there is one consideration that I think tips the balance:

Hot Fuzz. I don't want to be stabbed by a psychotic, knife wielding octogenarian.

City centre it is then.

I'll outline to him in more detail exactly what I plan and hope he will still be interested in supporting me, but we'll have to wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. Location - that is a good question!

    No doubt, this is largely a passion and calling matter, so not something one can debate 'theologically'. One may well be called to reaching the city-dweller, and another the rural villager. Both people groups need to be reached, it is true.

    The story of the Acts of the Apostles is really a early mission phase of the Kingdom advance in a region. And it was clear that the 'missionaries'/the apostles, largely went to the main conurbations, and established communities in the cities.

    There is hardly any reference to the more long-term, consistent witness of a local community of faith.

    One clear reference comes in 1 Thessalonians 1. After referring to the 'missionary' advance in verses 2-9, where Paul says: 'you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for in spite of persecution, you received the word with joy inspired by the Holy Spirit', Paul then goes on to say:

    '...so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia. For the word of the Lord has sounded forth from you not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but in every place your faith in God has become known, so that we have no need to speak about it. For the people of those regions report about us what kind of welcome we had among you...'.

    Here we get a rare glimpse of the theory in operation. The missionaries/apostles went to new cities and brought the gospel to them. Those who believed became followers of the example set by the missionaries, and followed them as they also followed the Lord Jesus.

    Then soon after, those with new exemplary lives, spread out further, in the city and beyond the city, sometimes probably because they lived elsewhere or worked elsewhere or traded elsewhere, and sometimes because they intentionally felt a call to move to a new suburb or village to bring the gospel to them.

    So, the key thing in your vision is to have the same model - the location depends of the phase of ministry, maybe. If the ministry is new, it may well be wise to go to the larger, densely populated context. But the absolute principle should always be, not to 'settle down' in one new location, but to establish a bridgehead, from which the word 'sounds forth' to new communities further out!

    ReplyDelete