Thursday 15 December 2011

Wanted - visionary pub landlords. Apply within.

Can't remember if I mentioned but in July I'm moving on from my current church job. Now, this turn of events leaves me in a very interesting situation. On one hand it's pretty terrifying, as for the first time in my life the future is uncertain and suddenly I'm experiencing a disconcerting vulnerability. On the other hand it's amazingly exciting as it means the bar church vision is a real possibility!

It also means that some time soon I have to make some decisions. In an ideal world, I would be pursuing the vision in partnership with someone who has both experience and qualification in licensed retail management (the jargon just drips from my tongue now!), but as we all know this world is seldom ideal and I'm not. Therefore, for the time being at least i have to assume I'll be both running the business AND shepherding the flock (jargon works both ways). Problem: theological training I have, bar management training I have not. The obvious solution? Get some training.

I've done a lot of research into how to do this and there is one organisation, the BII (British Institute of Inkeepers), which runs 'industry standard' courses for experience and qualifications. There are dozens of these courses covering everything from stock control to cooking theory to door supervision, but at the very least there are two courses that seem vital, the licensing qualification itself and 'introduction to licensed retail operations'. In total these two alone cost almost 600 squid (which is not an insignificant amount of money), but they're necessary.

With everything changing in July I have a chance to go all out for this, to do the courses and try get some experience in a bar/pub somewhere. The step is obviosuly a huge one, meaning a complete career change (while I get some experience at least) and a sizable financial investment (the training). Things are starting to get serious.

Any visionaries out there fancy being a bar manager? Any takers?

Anyone?

3 comments:

  1. I'll come and tend bar for you as a summer job for a few weeks. I can train other bartenders if you like. I'll even work for free, as long as I have a roof over my head and a warm meal with a pint at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ad that sounds really generous! You in the South Wales area? Let's grab a coffee and chat more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, you know where I am. It's Ad, your Canadian brother.

    ReplyDelete